Meat, Cheese, Meat, Cheese….that is about all the Hubs eats! I try my best to lighten up some of his favorite recipes whenever I can. When I put these baked cheese sticks on his plate, I worried that we would stick his nose up since they weren’t deep fried. Instead, he took a bite and said, “These taste like they are straight out of a restaurant! So good!” Yes! Another Success!!
Skinny Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Original recipe on www.Skinnytaste.com
- 12 sticks part-skim, reduced sodium mozzarella string cheese (I used Weight Watchers cheese sticks)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 5 tbsp panko crumbs
- 2 tsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- olive oil cooking spray
1. Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.
2. In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish. In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried parsley.
3. Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
4. Repeat this process with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with wax paper. Place cheese back into the freezer until ready to bake (this is a must or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
5. When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil.
6. Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 4 - 5 minutes watching them closely so they don't melt.
Makes 24 pieces.
* There will be extra crumbs and flour after breading, I've deducted them from the nutritional info.