I have said many many times that I am extremely blessed to be in my 30’s and still have almost all of my grandparents with me. I have so many amazing memories of time with them when I was little, and one of my favorites is when my Grandma would make us “door eggs”. I was always amazed by them when I was little, and would scarf down a couple for breakfast any time I could convince her to make them for us.
Grandma’s Door Egg
- white bread
1. Take a piece of white bread and cut a “door”out of the center.
2. Toast the “door” (with butter) in a small saucepan.
3. Now toast the “house” piece of the bread on one side.
4. Crack an egg into the hole in the center of the bread and fry it for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
5. Flip the whole bread/egg combo and fry for another couple of minutes (until it looks like the white of the egg is fully cooked).
6. Place the “door” over the egg and enjoy! The best part is when the yolk cracks open and there is already toast right there to sop it up!
Thanks Grandma for such wonderful memories!