Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Bohemian Breakfast

Hubs and I spent our honeymoon (and the next 4 summers) on Grand Bahama Island.  I loved (most) of the island food, but there is one taste, one flavor, that has never ever left my mouth….Banana Pancakes.  I am telling you, the resort we stayed at every year made the most amazing banana pancakes you could ever put in your mouth.  I have been trying to recreate that flavor for years, and I finally was successful last weekend!!

I have tried slicing the banana and putting it in the pancake batter, and I have tried mashing the banana and putting it in the batter, but who knew that the secret was not in the pancake batter at all?!  It’s in the topping!  The best part about my little discovery is that it was SOOOO easy and fast!

IMG_3930

Caramelized Bananas with Simple Buttermilk Pancakes

Banana Ingredients:

  • 2 bananas (sliced)
  • 2 T dark brown sugar (light brown sugar will work too – just not be as “rich” a flavor)
  • 2 T butter (real butter please people)
  • 1/8 t cinnamon

Melt the butter in a skillet.  Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir.  Add banana slice and sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly so the bananas don’t burn.

IMG_3928

Pancake Ingredients: (* you can use any pancake recipe that you have on hand)

  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • a pinch of baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 t vegetable oil
  • 1 egg

In a large bowl, combine first 4 dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk other three wet ingredients.  Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until smooth.  Cook about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake on a hot griddle.  Top pancakes with the caramelized bananas and prepare to taste a little bit of the Bahamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment