Monday, June 25, 2012

Our Teeny Tiny Mini Garden

I have been begging for a garden since the first day of spring, but my realistic hubby keeps reminding me that we need to start small.  I was allowed to try one strawberry plant and see if I could keep it alive.  I kept it alive, but it really isn’t thriving.  But when my Aunt gave us some vegetable plants (some of which already had fruits growing on them) we had to find a place to plant them.  They were in solo cups and begging to be planted and nourished.

mg4 After putting our heads together and thinking about where we should plant these vegetables (not where the deer will get them, not where the dogs can get them – that knocks out the back yard, and somewhere where I will remember to water them) we finally thought about that weird little patch of dirt behind the garage.

mg1 For some reason, instead of putting the fence even with the concrete from the driveway, the previous owners left about a foot and a half patch of dirt between the driveway and the fence.  We didn’t really know what to do with it, and we were annoyed about having to always spray to keep the weeds out.  As you will see, it turned out to be the perfect location for our mini garden!

Joe went up into the attic of the shop and gathered some wood for the project, while I gathered up the rest of the supplies.

mg2 mg3Then while Joe was measuring and cutting the wood for the garden bed, I worked on cleaning out the junk that was in our little space.

mg5 mg6

Joe laid out the bed with supports and then he tacked up a strip to hold the garden fabric (which should help hold the dirt from going through the fence and help keep the weeds from coming up into the garden).

mg7 mg8

We started the bed by putting down a layer of black cow manure and spreading it out.

mg9

The we added a top layer of Miracle Grow Garden Soil and spread it out.

mg10 mg11

I planted our vegetables (tomatoes, broccoli, and peppers), then Joe cleaned up while I made signs for the garden.

mg12 mg13 mg14

I just love how our little teeny tiny mini garden turned out!  I can’t wait to get some fresh veggies and use them in our cleaner eating recipes!  Now to just keep the dogs and neighbor cats away!

mg15

No comments:

Post a Comment