Sunday, May 27, 2012

Dogs Need Nutrition Too

I have mentioned a few times on here that Joe and I are working towards a healthier, cleaner way of eating.  I didn’t want you to think that I would leave my precious pups out of that plan too. 

When my sweet precious dog Senna started having seizures I began to do research on why this may be happening to her.  My research kept leading me back to pet food – how it is processed, what ingredients are in the food, and what is being left out of their food.  What I found was extremely disturbing!  I won’t get into all the details of what I found out, but I will tell you that Senna only ate homemade human-grade food for the final few months of her life! 

I will also say that the idea that one pet food provides all the nutrition an animal will ever need for its entire life is a dangerous myth.  Think about it, today, the diets of cats and dogs are a far cry from the variable meat-based diets that their ancestors ate.   If I had the money and time, I would still feed holistic, human-grade, mommy-prepared food to both of my puppies.  Instead I feed high-quality, research based dry dog food to my babies, and supplement with natural treats that will help them get the variety and nutrients that they need to be healthy.

** Please note that I do NOT recommend feeling human foods to your pets until you have done a considerable amount of research!  There are many human foods that are dangerous for dogs to eat in certain quantities (ie. chocolate, onions, grapes, raisons, etc.). Please check before you feed anything to your pets to make sure it is safe for them. **

So now that you heard my soap box about pet food, go out and do some research for yourself.  You may be very surprised at what you find!  On that note, I wanted to share a couple of pictures of my sweet girls getting a healthy afternoon snack. :0)

apples1

All I have to do is toss an apple out on the porch or in the living room and my girls are in heaven!

Willow won’t look at me for fear I may take her precious apple :0).

apples3

Harley is so precious how she holds her apple with her front paws and takes her time to enjoy every bite. (She is still eyeballing me to make sure I don’t steal a bite :0)

apples2

No comments:

Post a Comment