Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fast & Simple Hillbilly Spice Cake

Ok, so yeah...um....well..... OK I will confess! I have the BIGGEST sweet tooth on the planet (Thanks Mom!). I am always looking for a sweet little recipe. Yes, we are trying to eat healthier, but if I don't have a bite of something sweet every now and then I will binge out on the first sweet things I find. All things are fine in moderation right?

Anyways, I tried the recipe that I found here on the My Blessed Life blog for the Hillbilly Spice Cake. I tried this recipe for two reasons 1) I loved the name and 2) I had all the ingredients already. Joe absolutely loves it, and he isn't really a fan of sweets. I like it too because I love anything with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. It's not chocolate, but it worked well for satisfying the sweet tooth. :0)

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup nuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda

  • Topping:


  • 2/3 cup melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 4-5 Tablespoons milk
  • 1 cup coconut

  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Boil the sugar, water, nuts, salt, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and raisins. While boiling, sift flour and baking soda. Pour flour and baking soda into hot mixture. Mix well and pour into greased 13×9 baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. While baking, prepare topping recipe.


    For topping, mix butter, brown sugar, milk, and coconut. Spread topping over cake and place back in the oven {under the broiler} until golden brown…about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

    This recipe was so simple to make and so fast to put together. The best part is that it uses ingredients that we almost always have on hand. I didn't use raisins in mine because we don't care for them, and we didn't have any but our cake still turned out very yummy. This is definitely a great recipe to take to family events, or put together quickly when you have company on the way. Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment