Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Healthy Dog Snack

I must start with issuing an apology.  I did mention a while ago about giving my dogs whole apples as an afternoon snack.  Upon further research I have found that although apples are a great snack for your pup, the seeds can be very dangerous for them to digest. 

Apple seeds contain amygdlin, a form of cyanide, which is very poisonous to every living thing. Cyanide prevents the blood from carrying oxygen throughout the body. If your dog swallows a few seeds, the body will detoxify itself. Actually, the dog must ingest large quantities of apple seeds to do major damage. Also, the cyanide is within the seed covering, and if the covering isn’t broken, it will pass through the dog’s system intact. So, if you’re going to give your dog apples, core the apples. This may seem overly cautious, but why take the chance?

Also remember that apples have natural sugars which if eaten in large amounts will cause weight gain.  Make sure you treat the apples as a treat, only feeding minimally.

So with that being said, banana is not included in the ASPCA list of human foods toxic to dogs thus dogs can have this sweet and delicious healthy fruit.  Again, always feed sparingly…”too much of a good thing” and all. :0)  I use banana in many recipes I use for my dogs, such as the ice cream I make for them.  My girls go bananas over bananas.  I had a couple of bananas that I had frozen to use for future dog recipes, but it was a hot summer day so I tossed them out on the porch and the pups went crazy! 

Remember to always do your research before feeding human foods to your four-legged friend!

fb1 fb2

No comments:

Post a Comment