Monday, August 13, 2012

August Begins the End of Summer

As summer winds down to an end, we are back at school, and the weather starts to cool (a little) it is time to take down the patriotic decorations for the 4th of July and change up the porch a little.

august porch 1

My first step was to take down the pitiful geraniums and add some durable, beautiful, full ferns.  I mean how gorgeous are those!?  I also made some new pillow covers using my favorite project-and-trace method (with my trusty ‘ole sharpie). I swapped up the table setting by adding a sweet little bird house that my father-in-law made for me, a bird’s nest (that was already on the ground – no worries – I didn’t steal a bird’s home), and a simple citronella candle. Finally, my absolute favorite part of the August porch is the new wreath.

august porch 2

august porch 3

august porch 4

august porch 5

This wreath is by far my favorite wreath I have made so far.  It is so simple yet so elegant, and I am kinda’ crushing on the color green lately. 

The best part is that this wreath was so fast and easy to make!  I started by purchasing 3 stems of white hydrangeas and 8 stems of green hydrangeas (on 1/2 off sale at Hobby Lobby) and cutting off the bunches at the bottom of the stem.

wreath 1

This would leave a smaller bunch of about 6 – 8 flowers together.  I then took a screw and made holes all along the Styrofoam in three rows. 

wreath 2

I took the individual groups of flowers, added some hot glue to the bottom of the stem, and stuck the stem into the pre-done holes.  I just went all the way around filling all the holes, then took the extras and went back to fill in some of the sparse places.

wreath 3

Finally I took some silky ribbon and added a hanging loop and a bow to the front of the wreath.

wreath 4

This wreath literally took less than an hour from start to finish, and did I mention that I am in love with it!?

wreath 5

No comments:

Post a Comment