Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Apple Week ~ Crock Pot Cinnamon Apple Butter

Apple week 2012

Welcome back to day three of Apple Week.  We are spending the week sharing many of the recipes we made from all of our Apple Farm Pickings.

Today I am going to share the yummy yummy crock pot cinnamon apple butter! 

We started by washing our apples really good (using the method described here).

IMG_1761

Then I diced, and cored, and diced, and cored, and diced…but did NOT peel…8 apples. I filled up my crock-pot with all my diced apples.

ab1

Then I covered my apples with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.  I wish you had smell-a-vision right now!

ab2

Then I took some of the most delicious apple cider, which we bought at the apple farm, and poured three cups over the apples.  They should be covered, but not swimming.  Then I set the crock-pot to low and let it do it’s job overnight (12 – 15 hours).  The next morning I put the apple mixture in the blender and processed until smooth.

ab3

Here are a couple of things to take note of:

1.  If the apple cutter is still a little watery after processing, you can put it into a pot and cook over medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes until thickened.

2.  Store the apple butter in the fridge in an air-tight container.

3.  The apple butter will stay fresh for 3 – 4 weeks.

ab5

I used a coffee filter and a label I printed off to add a couple finishing touches to my super delicious jar of homemade crock pot cinnamon apple butter.

ab6

No comments:

Post a Comment