Saturday, September 8, 2012

For the Love of Pinterest ~ Dishwashing Detergent

I have seen a few different pins for homemade laundry detergents and dish soap, but I was especially looking for dishwasher detergent when I came across a pin that led me straight to the Simply Designing Blog.
 
I was very excited to see if Ashley’s recipe really worked!
 
I followed her recipe pretty closely.  The only change I made was that I doubled the recipe without doubling the Lemi-shine (since I don’t have a hard water problem).
 
I found everything I needed for around $3 or less each at Walmart.  Washing Soda: $ 3.24, Borax: $3.38, Kosher Salt: $1.68, and Lemi Shine: $ 3.66 for a total of $ 11.96. (Mind you I made a double batch and have enough supplies left over to make 2 more batches!)
 
dishwashing soap 1
 
While I was trying to mix up my new detergent, I had a little helper.  I took advantage of his posing to grab a couple of shots of the fat boy.
 
dishwashing soap 3
 
dishwashing soap 5
 
I made a label for my dishwashing detergent and wrote the recipe down on the back of the container so that I wouldn’t have to look it up every time I need it.
 
dishwashing soap 7dishwashing soap 8
 
Now I was finally ready to give it a try.  My dishes were already coming out pretty clean, not spots or anything, but I was basically trying out the recipe to save money.
 
I followed all of Ashley’s tips, like adding a small container with vinegar on the top shelf, and breaking up the detergent so it doesn’t clump.  I added one small tablespoon (which is a lot less than I put of the store bought detergent) and ran a full load.  I am so pleased!  Everything came out sparkling and clean!  I won’t buy the expensive detergent ever again!

dishwashing soap 6

This is totally worth you giving it a try.  With only using one tablespoon per load, this will last me forever - 192 loads to be exact (that comes out to 6 cents per load)!
Head on over to Simple Designing and try it out for yourself – I promise you won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment